Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 40 - February 9, 2012 - Reward!

This could be terrible. I have excitement over a new bag....but maybe the excitement is well deserved, this bag was a mere fraction of the cost of a high end purse like coach or Louis Vuitton (purses that I actually don't like and won't buy anyway) although it is a designer purse. This bag is actually a reward, and I managed to score it for $28 off the price it was listed for at Loehmann's, $61.01 off the actual retail price. It's a Betsey Johnson (I like her designs because they are edgy, wacky and cute at the same time - although some of her items, her dresses in particular can be quite expensive). I saw this satchel and a smaller hobo version at Loehmann's last week but refrained from the purchase and only stuck to some gifts for Shawn and one clearance skirt for myself. This week however...I got my tax refund....I love my tax refund, I usually get a big chunk of change. I'm trying to hold onto some of it, although I've already used some to pay off some debt, and order wedding invitations. If I get the car I'm going to see  tomorrow, I'm really going to have to watch it, but this car is an excellent deal and if Yosef seems okay with it, I think I'm going to make the purchase. A car is something that is needed anyway. So back to the bag after much rambling, I am working hard to pay off my debt, I now have 9 debt items to pay off (some credit cards that I want to get down to a 0 balance, and my student loans that will loom over my life for the next 10 years). My silly system is that after I be the good girl and pay off a debt I will purchase a reward or treat for myself. So I decided that the reward for paying off my gap credit card which I did with the tax refund was going to be one of the Betsey Johnson bags I saw in Loehmann's. Today I went before work, I was inspecting the small hobo intending to buy that one, but kept staring at the large satchel which was more money. I was kind of wishing for a coupon besides my 10% gold membership discount. Well for the second time in my shopping history a sales lady handed me a coupon for $15 off a purchase of $50 or more, my coupon magically appeared. That settled it I was getting the satchel. When I went up to the counter I asked the saleslady if I could get more then this coupon plus my usual 10% off if I renewed my gold card (it was going to have to be renewed at the end of the month anyway - for the gold card if you pay $25 per year you are entitled to an additional 10% off every time you make a Loehmann's purchase). It turned out if I paid my $25 renewal fee I could get 20% off the bag instead of the 10%. So I renewed my membership. At the end of my transaction including taxes I paid $65.18 for my membership renewal and the bag, the bag would have been $64.99 without any discounts. So I got my membership renewal and the bag for the retail value of the bag. I am proud of this reward and maybe that's why I'm excited about it, because it's an actual treat instead of haphazardly just throwing down my money which I was kind of doing before I decided to take my debt by the horns and get as much of it as possible squashed before my marriage to Shawn. My next rewards are lined up and I will look for discounts on those too Just dance 3 when I pay off my best buy credit card, Vera Bradley's Small Folio when I pay off my credit one account (which is now closed and in collections by some law office *sheepish grin*), and Vera Bradley's large folio when I pay off my paypal smart connect credit card. After that I have to pay off my discover card, NY&Co card, Victoria's Secret Card, my amazon store card, and my two student loans. I don't have rewards lined up for those yet, I do know the reward is going to be a BIG one when I pay off my last student loan. Perhaps a vacation with Shawn somewhere, a week long celebration of debt freedom if possible! Or almost debt freedom since we might end up getting a loan to build the second floor we are dreaming of.

No comments:

Post a Comment